Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 1996 21:41:56 +0100

Tom wrote:

> wouldn't the doctor himself
> become liable for prescribing a drug which is not safe?
> Wouldn't it be 'malpractice' or 'criminal disregard' or something like
> that?
> Nothing makes things move faster than getting lawyers and $$$ and the
> spectre of getting their licenses revoked.. to make doctors/drug
> companies .. sit up and take notice?

I believe that the Doctors are not fully aware of inert ingredients in
medications. Certainly ask you physician to prescribe a GF prescription- but
chances are they don't have the information available either.

If the Pharmacists- whose area of expertise is drug ingredients (who have
access to the prescription drug ingredient database) don't have the
information available, it is because the FDA does not require this
disclosure.

I also believe suing doctors because the FDA does not require disclosure,
would simply result in higher medical costs to all, and ultimately, not fix
the problem.

The up front approach is to ask (demand) the regulatory agency to make this
labeling disclosure mandatory. Not only for Celiacs, but all people
who suffer from food allergies. I guess if someone were looking to sue --- a
lawsuit against the FDA would be the correct agency to finger.

Fran