From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 1996 18:07:01 EDT

Mildred Oberkotter mentioned:

>  I saw an article in USA Today last week on my way home
>from a business trip which tells about a scientific research with
>chromium. It seems to help with blood sugar regulation.

I have been speaking with the president (who is a friend-of-a-friend of
mine) of the company which owns the patent rights to Chromium Picolinate.
Chromium Picolinate is the substance that this article covers.  This form
of Chromium, in a small study in China, was shown to improve some of the
symptoms of type 2 diabetes.

His firm stands to gain a great deal if people begin taking Chromium
Picolinate, however he cautioned me that

(a) Similiar research has NOT been completed on the more serious type 1
diabetes (he hopes this will be studied), and

(b) For those type 2 diabetics using insulin, they should only add Chromium
Picolinate under their doctor's supervision..... if it does indeed reduce
their need for insulin, but the insulin levels are not properly reduced,
this could cause additional problems.

I am a bit concerned as a Listowner that I have just typed out a post
which is not directly about Celiac -- however there are so many Celiacs
with diabetes, and this information is so important to those considering
Chromium that I felt it better to post this.

Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Los Angeles