From:
Kathy Hinzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Oct 1996 13:02:13 -0600

My 7 year old son Oliver has autism, celiac, and a great fondness for
McDonald's french fries. He has been on a GF/CF diet since last
February, all except for the fries, that is. I admit to breaking down
and letting him have them. Finally, the perfect substitute!

We found ready-made frozen organic french fries at a natural foods
market. The only thing added is trace amounts of apple juice which is
used as a baster to make the fries crispy. The company is out of
Rockton, WA, and the name is Cascadian Farms. They are really, really
good--and no deep fat fryer is needed--they cook in the oven for 10
minutes.

There are 2 servings per bag, and each bag costs less than 2 orders of
super-size fries at McD's. If your child happens to be particularly
attached to the McD's merchandise and food containers, like mine is, try
requesting handfuls of free fries containers from area McDonalds--we've
had luck with this. Especially when you tell them there's not a single
item on their menu that is safe for your child to eat. Now Oliver can
have GF fries that look like McD's fries because they are presented to
him in the same familiar red  cardboard container. He's pretty happy
about this adjustment, but remains rather surprised that such good
french fries can be made at home.
                                        -- Hillary