Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 1996 22:38:15 -0700
From:
Kirsten Klinghammer <[log in to unmask]>

> >Does anyone know the status of sushi? One would think that it could possibly
> >perhaps (oh please) say that it is GF... raw fish, rice and, I think, rice
> >vinegar, sometimes seaweed...
>
> The imitation crab meat (surimi) has wheat in it. They should use rice
 vinegar.
    I've had sushi chefs make me california rolls using either real crab
meat or hamachi (yellowtail).  I like it the latter way especially.

> >  Omit the soy sauce (or replace with your own
> >wheat-free soy sauce) and that's it.
>
> If you don't have your own soy sauce ask for several lemon wedges and
> squeeze into the soy sauce dish. The wasabi is fine.

    Actually, I occasionally have trouble with the wasabi and the
pickled ginger.  When I shop in Japanese groceries, I always read the
label to make sure the wasabi is wheat-free.  I have found ones which
contain it.  The pickled ginger very often is made with a small amount
of soy sauce, so be careful of that too.

    What actually works the best for me at one of my favorite,
*incredibly busy* sushi restaurants is to order the sushi take-out.  That
way I can use the GF wasabi, tamari soy sauce, and pickled ginger that I buy,
along with their outstanding sushi.  Not only that, but since I order
the meal when I leave work, I can just waltz past the line going down
the sidewalk in front of the restaurant to pick up my order, and then be
home within five or ten minutes to enjoy it.

    By the way, something that helped me figure out what was safe was to
read through Japanese cookbooks.  I now have a far better idea of what
to expect in every dish, and that also gives me a better idea of what to
ask when I'm at a new restaurant.

    Good luck, and happy eating!

    Kirsten Klinghammer
    Orangevale, CA