From:
"Ronald Hoggan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jun 1996 20:48:13 -0700

Dear Phil Sheard,
June 16, at 19:02, you said:

"It is unlikely that anyone on a normal diet (even GF) will require Magnesium
supplementation, ...."

Do you mean to suggest that a person with celiac disease, a very common
reason for going on a gluten-free diet, would have the mucosal architecture
in their intestine recover so quickly that a normal diet would supply
all their needs?

I chose to respond to the whole list, as that is the venue in which you
posted your comments.

Clearly, when malabsorption has been shown to take as much as four years
and more to be corrected, in celiac disease, on a g-f diet, then suggestions
for most kinds of supplementation would appear reasonable and prudent.

I refer you, in support of this last point, to:
Grefte, et. al. "Slow and incomplete histological an functional recovery
in adult gluten-sensitive enteropathy" J. CLIN. PATHOL. 41: pages 886 - 891
1988.

I hope that you are not offended. I also hope that you will continue to
post to the list, as I value the insights that the professionals bring to
the list.

It is also my hope that professionals will recognize that another kind of
expertise arises out to the gluten-free experience, and the preceeding
quest for a diagnosis. This, of course, is added to the constant journey
toward wellness that offers many pitfalls to the celiac, and other forms
of gluten intolerance.

Best Wishes,
Ron Hoggan