Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 1996 06:27:07 -0700

Hi!
        I am a recently diagnosed celiac and new to the list.  I just want
to say how glad I am to find you all!  I thank Mike, too, for all his help!

        I find it frightening wondering how badly things inside me may be
screwed up after having had  symptoms for about15 years and not knowing or
doing anything about it.  It amazes me that doctors sluff things off so
easily just to give you an answer and get you out the door.  It would seem
to me more doctors would (should) know of this condition!  IBS was a quick
and easy diagnosis to my complaints and only after things became much worse
and I finally insisted on more test, did I get the correct answer.  As for
my perpetual anemia, my current doctor sluffed that off as "That's because
you're of Italian descent."  Hmmmm?   Well, no use looking back.  I'm just
glad I know now and can do something about it.

        Now, the GF diet certaily is another thing!  Geez!  I wonder if
anyone else experienced the anger and frustration of not being able to eat
probably 90% ofwhat "normal" people eat.  I wallk around the shopping cart
with my lonely bag of rice cakes and drool on everyone else's shopping
carts piled with all my favorite goodies.  Yesterday, the hot Italian bread
came out while I was at the store and I wanted to cry (I used to break off
the end of my hot Italian bread and nibble while in line).

        ...and restaurants... My husband and I have always enjoyed dining
out.  We'd probably done it at least twice a week.  Now, that pleasure has
become a frustrating chore.

        Oh well, no use dwelling on it.  As I said, I'm just so glad to
have found this group as a source of information and support.  I live in
Phoenix and would love to make contact with someone in the area.  So, if
you're in my area, please e-mail me privately.  I very much would like to
find  some good local stores for products.  (Lucky for me, we have a few
Trader Joes.)

        I have a question for you regarding my blood test.  My doctor's
answers are "It's fine. Nothing to worry about."  I've finally learned not
to believe him (and - BTW - am looking for a new family doctor).  These
following test results were off, but I have no idea what they mean or if I
should be concerned.  If anyone of you know, please tell me:

                BUN/CRE     High      26.0
                CO2         Low       21
                CALCIUM     Low        8.1
                ALK PHOS    High     140
                SGPT (ALT)  High      41

        Also, I wanted to share that I found a salad dressing in Safeway
which must have been cooked up by a celiac.  The ingedients all check out
OK, right down to listing "wine Vinegar" and there's a great selection of
flavors.  They are also fat free and delicious.  Make a great meat
marinade, too.  Just thought I'd share that with you if you don't already
know.

        Sorry for babbling on here.  But again - "Hello" and thanks for
being there!

                                    Nina :)
                                '89FX3/Coupe (SAM)