From:
Nancy Lilly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 1996 09:33:59 -0700

I'm glad Don was on the side of caution - having used House-Autry corn meal
for years w/no reaction, I was assuming it was OK.  After Don's posting, I
got on the phone and called the mill.  Spoke to a very nice lady who
assured me that wheat never touches their stones - they only grind corn.
She says they do market some mixes and stuff that contain wheat flour, but
it is not ground at their mill and there should be no chance of
contamination.

Then I called Zatarain's, and talked to another really helpful person in
quality control.  He said that all of their corn flour and corn meal is
purchased from a small mill in Illinois that only grinds and produces corn
products - no other grains.  He said that although some Zatarain products
contain wheat, they are not produced on the same equipment.

Also, after my exposition re/corn goodies, I remembered that you should add
1 to 2 T of oil or melted butter to the batter if you're making muffins.
Also, the muffin and hushpuppy batter should be spoonable, the corn cake
batter should be pourable.

Nancy