From:
Virginia Mingolla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Sep 1996 11:58:35 EDT

I would like to respond to Liz Ward's post on Ireland.  She was kind enough
to send me information on Ireland when planning my trip.  Her brother-in-law
was visiting her at the time I posted asking for info.  He was returning to
the United States and actually works at the same University that I work at.
It is such a small world.

Liz is right.  You do need to be prepared with food when traveling anywhere.
Air Lingus of all airlines had a hard time getting the diet right.

The biggest difference I found is the attitude of those serving you.
Since it is such an orphan disease here people tend to think of it more as an
allergy. I found the people in Ireland to be very kind and will take
the time to find out exactly what we can and can't have.  I had chefs
come out with products and asked me to read the label.  They wanted to
make sure I wouldn't be eating something that could hurt me.  The
restaurant card came in handy.  Most people in Ireland know of someone with
celiac so it is taken seriously but they do not know exactly what the
diet entails.

You can also walk into some of the supermarkets or chemists and find some
gluten free products.  Since I have a milk allergy also it was a little more
difficult.

As Liz said you can not walk into a fast food restaurant and expect a gluten
free hamburger but you can walk into a restaurant and get the respect we all
deserve.

I loved Ireland and felt great.  No slip ups on the diet.

Ginny