From:
"J.E. Cornell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 1995 15:34:07 EDT

My wife got a call back from Heintz regarding the status of their Baby Rice
Cereal.  (I get the Celiac list posting by digest - so I'm always a bit
behind, sorry for the delay.)  Heintz said that the information on their
present boxes is correct, and that their customer information hotline database
was using information from their _old_ recipie for Baby Rice Cereal.

Assuming to be charitable that this is absolutely true, then their customer
information hotline database is about two years out of date, as we've been
seeing the same information on their boxes of Baby Rice Cereal for almost two
years now.

The icing on the cake was their statement that we could rely upon the accuracy
of the information printed on the box, but that they would not confirm or deny
that their product was indeed Gluten Free, due to concerns for liability, and
that we should ask our Pediatrician what brands of food we should feed our
celiac child.  <<How our Pediatrician is supposed to know if the manufacturer
will neither confirm or deny the GF status of their product is beyond me.>>

Personally, I'm annoyed, and will stop buying their products, as I'm not
interested in doing business with someone who doesn't keep their customer
information current, and will not confirm or deny anything beyond what I can
read on the box.

John Cornell
Rockville, MD