From:
Sus Shawhan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 1995 07:29:25 -0400

[log in to unmask] (Frank Johnstone) wrote:

>We would appreciate any information anyone has on Hawai'i regarding
>gluten-free restaurants, where in Hawai'i to buy gluten-free products, etc.

Aloha!

I am in Honolulu, and have just begun the GF diet (and just subscribed to
this amazing listserv!) -- I think you won't have any problems in finding
what you need here in Hawai'i.  There are two stores relatively close to
Waikiki that have a good assortment of GF foods, 'Kokua Country Foods' (a
co-op that is open to anyone) and 'Down to Earth.'  They are both near the
University/MoiliIli area.

Of course, if you are more adventurous, try Hawaiian food (pre-contact
Hawaiian diet didn't use any grains).  When I started my GF diet I thought
I'd miss the local 'plate lunches' (cheap take-to-the-beach meals that are
heavy on gravy, breaded meats and/or shoyu cooked foods) -- 'til I realized
that the native Hawaiian diet -- made mostly of taro leaf and root with meats
for flavor -- is completely GF!  Lomi salmon with poi, sweet potatoes, kalua
pig, lau lau, squid luau are my favorites!.  (I'm not sure about chicken long
rice, since it is more of an asian-introduced item -- the 'long rice' is a
bean thread 'noodle' that may or may not be GF.)  You can get a good sampling
of real Hawaiian plate lunches at the Farmer's Market just mauka (toward the
moutain side) of the Ward Warehouse shopping complex.

Otherwise, I really recommend trying some of the foods at 'Broke Da Mouth' in
downtown Honolulu (all local produce, vegetarian).  While you're in that area
you could swing through Chinatown and sample all the exotic fruit.  And,
don't forget, RICE rules here!  You can even get rice with your McDonald's
breakfast.

I'd like to hear what other Hawai'i people are suggesting, myself, since I am
new to this.  I'd also like to know if mainlanders -- or others around the
world -- have incorporated any of the Polynesian foods into their diet (poi,
or any part of the taro plant, is especially nutritious and easily digested.)

Sus Shawhan