From:
Jim Barron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 1996 23:36:47 -0500

>There is a high concentration of hydrochloric acid in the stomach where
>initial breakdown of proteins by the protease enzyme pepsin (which has low
>specificity, breaking down many different amino acid linkages) begins. The
>ability to be digested by various proteases probably outweighs solubility
>considerations for gluten proteins.  Proteins that start out insoluble
>rapidly become soluble as enzymes fragment them into smaller pieces.  The
>gluten proteins appear to be adequately attacked by the array of proteases
>available in our gastrointestinal tracts. I think it is not likely that the
>basis of celiac disease lies in the digestibility of the gluten proteins,
>although I know of one scientist who disagrees with me on this. I think,
>however, that most scientists would agree with me.

There are some conditions that cause achlorhydria (a loss of acidity) in
the gastric juice and this can lead to increased susceptibility to some
infectuous organisms that are ordinairily destroyed by normal acidiy.
Perhaps it is possible that in celiac disease the precipitating event is an
episode of achlorhydria (OR period of enzyme deficiency) allowing partially
undigested gluten to reach the gut where, in those with the appropriate MHC
alleles (i.e.:  celiacs)  antibodies are formed in reaction to the gluten
fragments and a self-perpetuating cycle begins (the antibodies and
resultant destruction of mucosas and/or malabsorption perpetuate the
achlorhydria which perpeturates the gut reaction.      (If active celiacs
DON'T have achlorhydria, how is it that the peptides reach the gut intact
enough to be antigenic?).    Could part of the reason for the variation in
time to relapse after going on an unrestricted diet be that an episode of
achlorhydria and/or enzyme deficiency is required to reinitiate the cycle
which then may become self-perpetuating?     If this were the case, perhaps
enzyme supplements and supplementation to ensure adequate acidity might be
protective against accidental exposures.

Jim Barron
Chapel Hill NC