Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 1996 21:54:12 -0400

I've waited to post this for several months as the doctors tried numerous
things to help my Mom.  Her hemoglobin was around 70 for ages.  Now has
climbed to 86 (this is still incredibly low) and will not go higher.
 Recently, her doctor had her on 4 iron pills a day which resulted in an
intestinal blockage and a 4 day hospital stay.  Has anyone had this
experience of hemoglobin count not increasing even while on large doses of
iron?  Her doctor says it is not a B-12 deficiency.  Does anyone have any
suggestions on how my mother can increase iron absorbed? She's been diagnosed
for about  6 months.  Her doctor has suggested intra-muscular shots of iron
but this supposedly can have some negative side effects and my mother is not
in good health.  Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated!!!

Maureen