From:
"Pierce, Sydney" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 May 1996 10:01:23 -0400

Shashi--

        I think there's been some misunderstanding in your interpretation of
some of the replies you've received.  I'm one of those people whose
replies you are summarizing, but what I had to say assumed you already
knew you had CD.  Your last message sounds as if you really don't know
and need the biopsy to find out, so that you can make decisions on future
medical care, etc.  If the biopsy is needed to know whether you have
celiac disease or not (or for you to accept this knowledge), of course
you should do it.

        There are also a lot of us who already know we have CD and have been
asked by our doctors (who also already know we have CD) if we want to
undergo a gluten challenge and biopsy to "confirm" it.  In this case, the
biopsy isn't going to matter in concerns about health, child-bearing,
etc.  We already know what we have, and we're already worried about these
matters (for good reason).  The biopsy won't make any difference.  My
message was intended for people in such situations.

Sydney [female Sydney, not male]
Hillsborough, NC