From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 1996 16:38:07 -0400

At 08:40 AM 5/17/96 -0700, vance <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>After I posted a list of synonyms to the list recently, someone wrote to
>tell me that one of them was wrong. The book listed "hydrolosyed protein
>and hydrolysed vegetable protein" (I suppose that's British spelling) as
>synonyms for yeast. I was informed that this is wrong; that hvp contains
>wheat or grain. I don't know for certain, but I do notice that the celiac
>FAQ for this listserv, in its "COMPLETE LIST OF NOT ALLOWED," lists
>"yeast (may be grown or dried on wheat flour) and yeast extract"

I have yet to find any yeast that has been grown on wheat. It is listed in
all the celiac literature as something to check, but it seems that molasses
is the preferred medium today.

But back to HVP. I dug out some of my technical literature on this. It gets
into the actual process of how it is made.

>From the "Food Trade Review" January 1974, London, pages 14-15

  The production of yeast extract is one notable exception to these general
comments on enzymic hydrolysis. However, this may be regarded as a rather
specialized case, since the hydrolysis is internal, and takes place by the
action of the proteolytic enzymes occuring naturally within the yeast, this
is know as autolysis.

Raw Materials

  Commercial protein hydrolysates can be made from any reasonably rich
proteinaceous source, such as wheat gluten, casein, meat meal, fish meal,
hoof and horn, blood meal and so on - the complete list would seem endless.
In practice, however, many manufacturers now prefer to use the vegetable
proteins exclusively, in which case the hydrolysate is called HVP
(hydrolysed vegetable protein) or, in America, HPP (hydrolsate plate protein).

>From "Food Engineering", December 1989, page 29

  An alternative to HVP has been introduced by Provesta Corp. Called
Provesta Roast Beef Natural Flavor Enhancer 48-136, ....

The firms's flavor enhancers are produced naturally via fermentation rather
than through a chemical process (such as the hydrochloric-acid hydrolysis
used by European HVP producers) and ....

  Flavors are produced by a strain of Candida utilis yeast on a liquid-sugar
feedstock....