From:
"Philip B. Glaser" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 1996 17:16:05 EDT

Thanks to all of you who responded when I asked what the fecal fat test meant.
I've finally got the results, and the doctor's conclusion is that they're
"borderline."  He said the limit of normal was seven, and I was ten.  I had been
gluten free two weeks, then ate gluten for the week before and during the test.
I'm unhappy with this doctor and will be changing health plans in two months, so
I'm going to get a biopsy then.  My questions are two:

1. Is being a "ten" significant re: celiac?  The doctor said I may not have
"full blown celiac disease"; as I understand it, you either have celiac or you
don't.  Or could this result be caused by a gluten allergy instead of cd?
2. How long does it take for my gut to heal after going gluten free if I am
celiac?  How long before a biopsy should I eat gluten in order for the biopsy to
be meaningful?

Thanks for your guidance.
Still trying to figure this out,
Linda Glaser