From:
Judith Potts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 1996 14:42:08 -0500

I have developed my own conconction to alleviate abdominal cramps. I am
posting this description of what I have done to generate some feedback from
others on whether they think I am doing myself injury, and to suggest to
others something they might try if they also suffer from intestinal spasms
and pain. I am most definitely NOT a medical professional and have
developed this home remedy based upon my own limited reading of lay texts
and some professional medical material. It seems to work for me, and I
don't believe there is anything in this remedy that could cause problems,
but I don't want anyone to be led astray, thinking I know what I'm talking
about!!!   :-)

I start by saying my biopsy was negative, so I am considered by the medical
profession not to have celiac. I have, however, improved my condition
incredibly by sticking to a wheat-free, dairy-restricted diet.

One problem I have had continuously in the 3 years since the start of my
symptoms is a pain in my lower right abdomen -"diagnosed" by GIs as chronic
appendicitis (ha!), irritable bowel syndrome (again, ha!), adhesions from
previous abdominal surgery, etc., etc. In other words, they don't know what
it is or why it's there. None of the standard medications seems to make it
any better at all. On a scale of 1 to 10, it originally was between 7 and
10 all the time. Since going GF, it is usually at a 1 to 3 level now - a
great, great improvement!

Because I haven't been able to get rid of the pain altogether - even on a
GF diet - I've been trying to find a home remedy to help.

I read about peppermint being helpful for spasms and cramps associated with
menstruation or eating a large meal. I tried peppermint tea and that seemed
to help a little bit. I purchased some peppermint oil and tried a few drops
of that in a small glass of water. That seemed to help more, but the strong
taste practically did in my throat and tongue!

Then I read that peppermint only works as an antispasmodic if it can get
through the stomach and into the intestines before it is absorbed.
Therefore, it would need to have a coating that wouldn't dissolve for a
period of time.

Recently, I learned of an over the counter medication called Colpermin
which is marketed as an antispasmodic. It is described as "enteric coated
peppermint oil capsules". That's exactly what I was looking for, but it
costs a lot of money - more than 50 cents per capsule.

So, here's what I've done and it seems to be working. I purchased a supply
of empty gelatin capsules. Using an eyedropper, I put about 3 drops
(probably less than .5 ml) of peppermint oil into one half of the capsule,
then fill the rest of the space with water. I close up the capsule and take
it with a meal.  The gelatin capsule takes some time to dissolve, so I'm
theorizing it makes it into the intestine before the peppermint oil is
released.  So far, in the two or three weeks I've been using it on bad
days, my pain seems to be greatly diminished a couple of hours after I
swallow my remedy.

The cost for 50 ml of peppermint oil (enough for 100 doses) was about
$3.00, and for 180 capsules $2.50. So, my home version of an enteric coated
peppermint oil capsule costs about $0.05.

So, fellow list mates, have I found a way to cut my costs 90%, or am I
doing myself a massive injury?????

Many thanks in advance to all those who send me comments, suggestions,
observations. If anyone thinks it would be of interest to others on the
list, I'll also post a summary of the responses I receive.

Regards,

Judith

...writing up a storm in Ontario, Canada