From:
Shashi K Pathak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 1996 15:59:26 -0400

Hi!

I've been lurking on the listserv for a couple of weeks getting loads of
useful information.  I'd like to get your opinion on whether I should
go through the formal diagnostic thing or not.

Background:  About 4 years ago I experienced severe migraines coupled with
an extremely bloated and uncomfortable belly.  As I was living in India at
the time, I visited a homeopathic doctor who diagnosed colitis.  She gave
me some tablets (don't know what) which provided relief within a week.
About 18 months ago, when I was again under severe stress, the symptoms
recurred.  I went to the university clinic where the doctor (md) prescribed
mylanta gas.  No effect.  Went back, the dr. then prescribed painkillers.
So I began my search for a homeopath.  Found an acupuncturist instead.  She
thought I was allergic to gluten and lactose, told me to avoid them, and
sent me off for a series of (highly undignified) colonic irrigations.  It
worked!  I occassionally still get some bloating and discomfort, but nowhere
near the earlier levels (thank god), and the migraines have completely
stopped.  Unexpectedly, my energy level also shot up!  I was concerned about
feeling lethargic, but just thought I was out of shape.  Eventually, I
became concerned about whether I was eating a balanced diet.  So I consulted
a dietitian at the univ. clinic who was skeptical about the diagnosis
and livid about the colonics.  She insisted I stop them and go back on milk
(lactaid).  Since avoiding gluten and lactose seems to be working for me,
she suggested I continue to stay away from them, but highly recommended that
I get allergy tests done later.

My question is should I be happy with the status quo (relatively minor
occasional bloating and discomfort) and continue with the (boring)
gluten/lactose-free diet or should I go off the diet (for how long?),
consult a gastroenterologist and get the biopsies done?

Sorry about the length of this e-mail and thanks for bearing with me!

Shashi Pathak