From:
Lynn Worden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 1996 07:22:21 -0800

Thu, 8 Feb 1996 Gary Roberts <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

Yet another reason for blurred vision, unrelated to CD.  I have herpetic
keratitis, a form of herpes that affects only the cornea.  It leaves the
cornea scarred, thus producing a haziness in vision.  Luckily it affects
only one eye, so the other one does most of the work.  And, of course, it
is runrelated to CD.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Will wonders never cease?

I have had herpetic keratitis, and the vision in my right eye is permanently
damaged from it(I cannot read from that eye now; I can still see, though
fuzzily).  The pain was incredible and I was blind in that eye for three
months.  I used to live in terrible fear of getting it again in that eye
again, further damaging the cornea(and enduring that PAIN again), or worse,
getting it in my left eye.  I used to get herpes outbreaks on my lips and in
my mouth constantly....UNTIL I eliminated gluten from my diet.  Now the
outbreaks of herpes only happen when I go off the diet.  A little slip
doesn't leave me vulnerable to herpes, but a big slip does. So I would say
that *my* herpetic keratitis WAS related to gluten intolerance.  In fact, so
far freedom from herpes outbreaks is the only substantial benefit I have
noticed since going gluten free in September.  Indeed, whenever I think
about fudging on my diet, I wonder if it is worth taking a chance on getting
another attack of herpetic keratitis and that settles the question!!

lw <[log in to unmask]>       Don't talk unless you can improve the silence
                                        --Laurence Coughlin