From:
chris dye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jul 1996 13:35:54 -0400

Hi

I am a new subscriber from Cambridge England and was interested to hear
about experiences on airlines.

Since being diagnosed in October 1995 I have flown to the US twice and
within the US five times.

The first experience was with Continental Airlines.  Having contacted the
airline directly to ensure they would provide a gluten free meal and having
been assured that they would, I confidently boarded the aircraft in London.
 When the first meal arrived(after having to ask for a gluten free meal) it
was for a vegetarian and contained pasta and sauce.  I summoned the
stewardess who said they only had that meal.  I then asked to speak to the
chief stewardess who told me that they never did gluten free meals and
provided me with a few grapes and an apple!  On the internal flight within
the US I was given a meal which said gluten free but was obviously not -
pitta bread.  Needless to say I will not again fly Continental.

The next experience was entirely different.  I flew with United Airlines.
Having again phoned the airline to check the food I was greeted by a lady
who was herself allergic to gluten (but not a celiac) and she read out the
definition of a gluten free meal.  Armed with my own food, just in case, I
boarded the plane to LA expecting little.  The meal was fine!  On the
return journey the food was again just right and the stewardess was herself
a celiac and kept finding me extra gluten free food!   Well done United!
Needless to say my next two trips are booked with them.

Many thanks for all the interesting information.  Visiting the US fairly
often I am a little confused by some of the labelling.  In England we have
an annual booklet from the Coeliac Society which lists all manufactured
foods that are safe to eat.  It makes life much easier!