Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 1996 00:20:04 -0500
From:
"Karyn S. Friedman" <[log in to unmask]>

Janet - thanks so much for the recipe.  I've modified it a bit and the
results were so good I have to share it with the group.

BAGELS - from Diane Gunmore.  (Adaption of Bette Hagman's Yeast-rising
Thick Pizza (Gluten-Free Gourmet)).  Forwarded to Karyn by Janet.

2 c. rice flour
2 c. tapioca flour
2/3 c. dry milk powder or Dari-free powder
3 1/2 tsp. Xanthan gum
1 tsp. salt

3 Tbsp. shortening (canola oil OK) melted in 1/2 c. hot water
4 egg whites, room temp.
1 Tbsp. sugar, and 2 Tbsp. dry yeast dissolved in 1 c. warm water

TOPPING:
1 beaten egg yolk mixed with 1 Tbsp. cold water
sesame seeds, onion powder, garlic powder, other toppings, optional

In bowl of your heavy duty mixer, blend flours, dried milk, xanthan gum &
salt.

With the mixer on low, pour in the hot water with shortening, blending to
mix.
Add the egg whites, blend again, then add the yeast mixture.
Beat on high speed for 4 minutes. Allow to rise in the bowl about 1/2 hour.
After the first rise, mix again.
When dough is smooth, roll into 7" ropes, 1" thick. Form into a circle.
Moisten the ends and pinch together. Let rise 10 minutes.
Slide into a pot of boiling water. Boil 1 minute on each side.
Place on an oiled cookie sheet.
Brush top with the egg-water mixture and then sprinkle with desired topping
or leave plain.  Bake at 425' for 15-20 minutes.

This is a sticky dough.  Handle the dough with your hands in plastic bags, or
place a bowl of cold water on the countertop for wetting your fingertips
whenever the dough starts to stick to your fingers.
Or add GF Flour mix sparingly, as necessary, to handle the dough.

This entire project takes about 1.5 hours, but the results are excellent -
tender & tasty, with a texture similar to a chewy soft pretzel.  I suspect
you could even roll it thinner & shape into pretzels, then salt.

My very picky GF 2-yr-old wolfed down two whole bagels in a sitting, and
non-GF family members kept sneaking tastes.  This is the first result of a GF
bread recipe I've tried that I've really enjoyed.

Now all I need for James is some dairy-free cream cheese!

Karyn