From:
William Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 1996 12:54:56 GMT

Several days ago, Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]> said:

DW> Today's Business Week has an article in which it appears that Burger King
DW> has already made the decision to introduce [the gluten containing french
fries]

To which I replied:

BE> I have been in frequent contact with the head of the marketing program
BE> for these Stealth Fries, and was recently told no decision has been made.

BE> I will call her Monday for further details and report back to the list...

This morning I spoke with Kim Miller at Burger King (305) 378-7277, who has
been our List's liason for the stealth fries project.  She asked me to pass
along the following points to the Celiac community:

1.  Burger King was not consulted prior to the release of the Business Week
article, and denies that it has decided to roll out the stealth fries
nationally.

2.  The stealth fries experiment remains a test, it has neither been expanded
nor contracted since I posted the list of cities several months ago.  There
has been no change in the status of the project.

3.  Kim will contact us as soon as any decision has been made.  If any
expansion of the program occurs, Kim will contact the List so that adequate
notice can be given to our subscribers.

On Friday, I also wrote:

BE> It appears Burger King and McDonalds will soon be trading places on my
BE> family's "yes" and "no" lists.

At a minimum, the above statement was premature.  Hopefully, BK will never
adopt the gluten fries program.  For those of you who have not yet called or
faxed in your feelings to BK (fax 305-378-7277), it couldn't hurt to give
them your feedback.

Bill Elkus
Los Angeles