From:
Annmaureen Surra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 1995 05:41:16 -0500

We all seem to be trying to figure out what common denominators trigger,
exacerbate, and gentle Celiac disease. Blood types, hormones,stress,etc.

I am a Celiac with Dermatitis Herpetiformis -fair skin, green-eyes, blood
type O-RHpositive, high intelligence and sleep  deprivation!.

During my early adult years, I smoked cigarettes-up to four packs a day.
I never had a menstrual cramp, or any female irregularity. No
infertility-(six children). I had beautiful skin and NO overt celiac
symptoms. I ate a lot and was not overweight.I was told I was the
closest to a perfect physical speciman that doctors had ever seen!

I quit smoking when I was 46. I gained 84 pounds within a year. My skin
became a mess. After that, I began to manifest Celiac symptoms. I
developed fibromyalgis, polymyalgia. My appetitite stayed strong. I saw
many doctors. I read a lot, because I started to send many hours in the
libraries- (which incidently, are also the bathrooms).

Looking at my history, it might seem I should try smoking again! Does
anyone have any statistics on whether the stress of quitting smoking has
contributed to Celiac conditions? Could smoking have helped to regulate
my metabolism? Does nicotine depress celiac symptoms? Just curious! AMS