From:
Mike McCollister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jul 1996 18:27:33 UT

Hi,

I just wanted to thank all of you who responded to my German Chocolate
message. After getting all of the information to you guys (i.e the ingredients
and the brand "Milka"), I was able to determine that my Celiac wife was able
to eat one of the bars.

Here are some highlights from the comments that I received over the past week:

Beth Kubly says...

Candy Bar #1 (plain milk chocolate):

>Zutaten: Zucker, Vollmilchpulver, Kakaobutter, Kakaomasse, S|ssmolkenpulver,
>Haseln|sse, Butterreinfett, Emulgator Lecithin, Aroma Vanillin, Cakao: 31%
>mindestens

TRANSLATION:
Ingredients: Sugar, powdered whole milk, cocoa butter, cocoa mass (i.e. the
chpcolate part separated out from the fat/cocoa butter), powdered sweetened
condensed milk (= "Eagle Brand in powdered form), hazelnuts, butterfat,
lecithin, vanilla, minimum 31% cocoa.

Candy Bar #2 (strawberry crisp in chocolate, probably not GF):

>Zutaten: Zucker, pflanzliche Fette, Magermilchjoghurtpulver, Vollmilchpulver,
>Kakaobutter, Kakaomasse, gervsteter Reis, Milchzucker, Sahnepulver,
>S|_molkenpulver, gefriergetrocknete Erdbeeren, Haseln|sse, Emulgator
Lecithin,
>Aromen

TRANSLATION:
Ingedients: sugar, vegetable shortening, powdered yougurt made from skim
milk, powdered whole milk, cocoabutter, cocoa mass, roasted rice, lactose,
powdered cream, powdered sweetened condensed milk (= "Eagle Brand in
powdered form), freeze-dried strawberries, hazelnuts (=filberts), lecithin,
aromas
(= flavorings).

Candy #1 should be okay. The second bar might present a problem with the
vegetable shortening, or the "flavorings."

----------

Thomas Viehof says...

But !!! Normaly, a Crisp-Chocolate is NOT gluty free.

----------

Thomas Viehof says (again)...

 have found the following Informations about Milka in my List:

nearly all Milka's with a weight of 100g are gluten free, only the "Weise
Crispy" is not glutyfree.

Also I have found the following Milka's marked as gluten free:

Mandel-Creme
Nus-Nougat
Ganze Haselnusse
Noisette-Nus
Milka-Alpenmilch
Milka-Naps
Milka-Milkinis
Milka Lila Pause
Alpenmilch
Milka-Fresh: Mint-Crisp
Milka-Fresh: Lemmon-Crisp

I do want to thank all of those who sent me so much information. I hope that
this help all those who wish to eat some of the wonderful chocolate.

Mike McCollister