From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jun 1996 19:06:07 -0400

Having worked in the food industry for many years it is surprising that
Merck would be unable to give you specific ingredients for a drug if you
provided the date code information.  When they can refer back to a lot
number, they should be able to provide total information for your drug
package.  I think they gave you the run-around.  If you try again and they
balk, then ask what the use is of the date code ... and lot number.  Good
luck,   George Kennedy

Ithaca, NY

P.S.  This note from the distaff side of the family.  Last November the
Celiac Coalition was organized in a Chicago meeting.  To date I have heard
of no further meetings, but I hope there will be some.  In the meantime,
surely it is an organization like that -  if not that one, then surely
something very similar - that should address this issue.  As a
representative of all the celiacs in the USA, they represent enough people
to  convince the drug companaies to be responsible in their use of
ingredients.  They should also have a lobbying arm that will push for
federal labeling guidelines that really work for us.  I am curious to know
what The Coalition is planning for its agenda in the next year.  Raising
funds for research is one of their interests, but public responsibility and
public awareness of our needs should be equally important.

Tomorrow there will be a gathering of the Ithaca area celiac group at our
house.  I'm sure this will be part of the conversation.  We are very
grateful to Ted Wolff of Kinnikinnick Foods for sending us a large box of
his wonderful food for our gathering.  I've recently eaten a cinnimon bun -
the first in 15 years - HEAVEN!

Off to listen to Garrison Keillor.    Gayle K