From:
Carol Fonken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 13:18:30 -0600

Thanks to all who responded so quickly to my inquiry about curry powder.
Because some people were interested in the responses I received let me
summarize briefly.

Several respondents suggested that Indian cookbooks are a good source for
seasoning blends.  Marla Barefield (who buys spices whole and grinds her
own) sent the following recipe (her comments included):

3/4 tsp. ginger  (I use fresh ginger root while sautee-ing)
1 1/2 tsp. coriander  (this is dried cilantro)
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. tumeric
1/4 tsp. cardamon
1/4 tsp. cayene pepper (I use red chile powder and more than this)
1 tsp. sugar
salt to taste

Karen forwarded the number for McCormick: 1-800-632-5847.  David, I believe
I have read in the past on this list that McCormick will not guarantee their
curry powder is GF, although they do state that their pure spices are safe.
You might get some better info from the company at this number.

I can't wait to get home, throw some spices together and cook up some curry
for supper!

Carol
Austin, Texas