From:
Lisa McKinney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Apr 1996 19:40:09 -0700

Hello All!

Sorry for not getting this out sooner.  I tried once but apparently
there was a problem in sending the post somehow.  My apologies.

Here's what I found out:

Kathy Christenson writes:  "I haven't tried the brand of rice crackers
you mentioned, but "Brown Rice Snaps" distributed by Edward & Son, Box
1326, Carpinteria, CA are gluten free.  They claim it right on the
package.  They come in various flavors, have no added fat and are nice
and crunchy (I like the tamari sesame).  They are generally available
in health food type stores.  I buy them at Fresh Fields."

Kemp Randolph writes:  "You asked about Ka-Me crackers.  Did you learn
anything more about them?  The Edwards & Sons crackers now admit on one
of the flavors that it's made in a plant with other gluten containing
foods.  Whether on the same line due to their incompetence or elsewhere
in the building, I suspect some companies make up stories when they get
a complaint from someone very sensitive to gluten or a celiac reacting
allergically to another food or even to gluten.  Asking if others have
complained because their gut 'sneezed' is helpful."

  Kemp, I'm not familiar with the term "gut sneezed."  Can you help me?
  I assume you mean ask other celiacs.

Diana Eggleston writes:  "I called the company direct several months
ago and spoke with the head of the company.  The product is made in
Japan and he assured me that no other flour is produced in that plant
other than rice.  He apparently makes a few trips a year to the factory
over there.  I am an extremely sensitive celiac and have had absolutely
no problems with this product."

[log in to unmask] writes:  "I eat these crackers ALL the time.
Occasionally I have been suspect that they are contaminated.  I would
be very interested to hear other feedback."

Lisa McKinney (me) says:  I too have wondered about these crackers
which led to my inquiry here on our celiac forum.  Is it possible the
hardness of the crackers could contribute to a difficulty digesting
them?  I don't have any in my cupboard right now, but if I remember
correctly they contain canola oil or some other oil.  Could this be a
source of any irritant to my system?

Thanks for any responses and, again, sorry so long in posting this.
I've just been especially fatigued lately.  Hope everyone is well.

Lisa McKinney