Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 11:01:21 -0500

Sharing kitchen space means thinking through how you work and clean up your
kitchen, and setting up non-negotiable family rules.
  Our Celiac daughter is the youngest of 4 and so we've always had the issue
of sharing the kitchen space.  I have separate pots for the boys to cook
wheat pasta in, as well as separate strainers.  Wiping up crumbs can be a big
issue, especially with a guy in the throes of adolescence!   Liz' peanut
butter and jams are separate and labeled with her name.  Our sons all
commented that it's hard to remember when coming home from college, but they
get back into the habit.
   Liz has her own toaster and we keep the mixer, food processor GF.  A
separate part of the counter is designated for wheat breads or cookies.
    In the past year,  my food consultant business moved home and so I
 develop wheat recipes in our kitchen, using an island in the middle of the
kitchen as my professional space, as well as completely separate equipment,
bowls and utensils.  To the family rules I added a new one and it's worked:
 my  (wheat) kitchen towels, clothes, etc. are all green and the ones we use
for GF cleaning are all blue.  Also, I use a mixer with a bowl cover, and
drape towels over the GF appliances while I'm working.  And I wipe counters,
run the dishwasher, etc. frequently.
   All this has worked very well.  You need family cooperation, but some
things we do simply because we must to keep our loved one healthy.   You
don't negotiate with your children about crossing streets safely, do you?
 It's the same issue.
Jane Davis