From:
Julie Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 1995 14:53:06 -0700

> >Is anyone aware of weight gain as a symptom or any accepted medical
> >theory as to why a person suffering from Celiac Disease would gain
> >weight?

> Either they 1) eat more of the offending
> food item because it sets up a craving, or 2) they eliminate it
> from their diet because it doesn't make them feel good when they
> eat it.

Certainly not accepted medical theory, but here are a few other
possibilities to add. I have celiac and am overweight.
In fact, I've been wistful (ridiculous, I know it) about the weight loss
that many celiacs experience, even while I know that it is horrible and
debilitating. I am truly learning here that "thin" does not equal "well."

3. The affect of celiac disease on the central nervous system and CD's
   relationship to depression has been written about. I believe this can
   cause cravings, overeating, and weight gain. Many anti-depressants,
   which I took for years, cause weight gain. About 2 months after
   starting a GF diet, I could stop taking those pills. Also, we've
   been looking at the relationship between CD and the female cyle. Hormone
   treatments and birth control pills use to treat cramps, bleeding, and
   irregularity can cause weight gain. Other meds?

4. With malabsorption, someone might overeat to respond to the
   body's need for nutrients. Then, when on a GF diet, it's hard to
   learn how to reduce food intake to match the body's reduced need.
   I'm still struggling with that.

5. I have noticed now when I have ingested some hidden gluten that
   I'll still feel hungry even though I've just finished eating. I've
   lived most of my life that way. When I'm gluten-free, I feel satisfied
   and full between meals.

Regards,
Julie Thomas