Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 1995 10:54:58 -0400

This week's New England Journal of Medicine has an excellent article and
editorial on including oats in the celiac diet.  A group of doctors in
Finland did very rigorous testing on adult celiacs and concluded oats can and
should be included on the celiac diet. The lead doctor is a celiac herself.
The editorial is from England, citing positive research there.  The NEJM is
the Bible of medical research, with extensive peer reviews before
publication.

Several months ago I posted an account of our daughter's treatment at Johns
Hopkins, including biopsies before, during and after a year on oats; she has
continued to include oats in her diet since then (2 more years) and is a tall
and very healthy althlete.  She is extraordinarily sensitive to minute
amounts of gluten in wheat, rye and barley, with confirmation of celiac
disease from every possible test for the past 15 years.

Dr. Kasarda has previously posted information regarding oats.

I hope that all of you, and the various celiac organizations, will seriously
consider this research.

Including oats in Liz' diet has been of great nutruitional benefit and has
certainly made it easier for her to travel, prepare foods, etc.

Jane Davis