Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 1996 21:16:30 EST
From:
MRS JANET RINEHART <[log in to unmask]>

In December, a celiac subscriber mentioned that he regularly cheated
with the gluten-free diet even though he had definitely been
diagnosed with a biopsy.  He thought he might not cheat if he had
more severe consequences.  This scenario struck a chord in me as a
celiac and leader of a support group. I too am not terribly sensitive
if I get some inadvertent gluten; however, I NEVER willingly or
knowingly cheat on the diet.  I do remember how sick I was the year
before I was diagnosed and I never want to feel that way again. My
primary symptoms as a sick celiac were severe diarrhea (and then
constipation) resulting in weakness and fatigue, and severe anemia.
I find in our chapter that members who are self-diagnosed are more
apt to cheat. However, most people who have been told by a
gastroenterologist that they have the serious chonic Celiac Disease
try very hard and do very well with the diet.

Also, I myself have read and heard many times about the consequences
of cheating: (1) possible inability to regenerate villi after
constant bombardment of gluten, which might reduce the area of
absorption of nutrients, (2) the real possibility of developing
lymphoma because any chronic irritation/inflammation may cause a
cancer, and (3) the possibility of developing osteoporosis because
damaging the villi also damages the ability to absorb nutrients
properly (including calcium necessary for building and strengthening
bones.

I look at food in a new light now:  gluten-containing foods do not
appeal to me as much any longer.  I believe the keys to staying on a
gluten-free diet are (1) advance planning for meals and outings, and
(2) education about the disease and learning about acceptable
products to get variety into your diet.  I was diagnosed in 1988 and
have rarely had any flareups of digestive distress since.

I wish you better luck and a more positive attitude with the diet in
1996.  Your future health depends on a strict gluten-free diet!
Janet Rinehart, Houston Celiac-Sprue Support Group.