From:
Linda Blanchard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 1996 13:30:30 -0500

The recent discussion of suspect grains (especially amaranth) reminds me of
my early decision to get a grain mill. Reading about how buckwheat and
amaranth flours often cause problems because of cross-contamination made me
realize that a grain mill would be a good investment. With a grain mill,
you can scan the whole grains before putting them in and if there is
anything suspect in there, you can remove it. This is so easy with
amaranth, quinoa, teff and even millet, it's laughable (because these
grains are very small, any of the toxic grains, which are larger, would
stand out).

A grain mill gives other advantages. You are not limited to flour you can
find on your store's shelf. My local health food stores do not carry the
exotic grains in flour form, but I am able to experiment with them because
I have my own mill. I've even started milling some of the exotic rices
(mahoganny, black) and I grind my own lentil flour, chickpea flour and so
on... Also, your flour will be far fresher than anything you can buy
already milled off the shelf, with a resultant boost to vitamins.

The only disadvantage is that it takes a little more time at home, you
might get a bit more flour dust in your kitchen than you're used to, and
you'll probably need to find a source for ear plugs!

I do =not= recommend the grain mill that goes with my (otherwise wonderful)
Kitchenaid mixer. It just does not grind flour finely enough, and
especially when you're grinding your own rice flours, you do want it fine.

King Arthur Flour Baker's catalog sells the one I bought a year ago. [They
also sell many other helpful items like crumpet rings, Red Star yeast in
bulk quantities, bread machines, Kitchenaid mixers, bread slicers, whole
amaranth, oats (if you can tolerate them), and corn (yellow and blue),
millet, quionoa, dried non-instant milk, dried fruits (even pineapple and
candied so you can make that fruit cake recipe I sent along, even in the
summer!), pressed oils and essences, powders... well, so much cool cooking
stuff that =this= gadgeteer spends too much money with them!]

  King Arthur Flour Baker's Catalog: 1-800-827-6836 fax 1-800-343-3002
  Or call their baker's direct line, 9am-5pm Monday-Friday 802-649-3717

"Please call for a shipping quote on International/Canadian orders."

May all your bread rise well and slice smoothly,
Linda Blanchard
Midland TX USA