From:
Matthew Ramsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Oct 1996 16:14:24 +0900

Hi my name is Matt and I just joined the list and have several questions etc.
I am a self diagnosed Celiac (I've also been ADD sense I was a child).  Not
something I would say easy to do but not impossible.  My mother has had
Celiac Diease for many years, she also has fibromyalsia and the lactose
intolerance.  I was experiencing a majority of the symptoms of Celiac diease
so I went on and off the diet a number of times in a controlled manner my
last experience of going far off not being pleasent.

When I was growing up my mother had a great deal of difficulty with the
diagnoses of her problem, I'm fairly sure this is not typical.  Due to CD
and the fibromyalisa she has being seeing an acupuncturist who also
diagnosed her CD and specified yet more don't on the diet.  Right now I am
living in South Korea and have been going to an oriental doctor (primarily
acupuncture) for unrelated things.  When a friend of mine explained CD to
him (his english is so so) he said they have a slightly diffrent traditional
diagnosis.  Added to the list of symptoms is constantly feeling cold
(esspecially the hands and feet). I was wondering if anyone else has this
problem besides me and if it has had this problem (if ppl are interested I
may do a real survey).  Also added are several other dietary don'ts:
caffine, corn (unless ground), and anything cold.  I found the restriction
on corn esspecially interesting given the current discussion about it.  He
also recommended eating warm sticky rice.

Being in Korea keeping this diet is very difficult.  I am not only confined
to eating at home but you can imagine the problem of reading labels etc.
Though rice in one form or another is a high proportion of the Korea diet it
is often mixed with wheat in some sense (soy sause or a red pepper paste
whose commercial version contains wheat).  As a celiac I do not recommend
living here.  I am tring to go through the traditional foods and want to
make a log of them on my computer as I find recipes or get them organised
I'll forward them to the list.

What I am looking for right now is some refrences on those foods that are
suppose to keep you warm.  I would like to do some comparison checks with
tradition western medicine.  Food items I have quesions about are Classico
Spagatti sause - does anyone know about the tomato paste in this one? and if
viatamin drinks in liquid form traditionally have binders (I wouldn't think
so but...).  I would hunt down the classico thing myself but not being in
Asia slows you down on US 1800 numbers etc.  If anyone has any refrences on
this stuff please let me know.  Also if anyone has an questions about food
here etc. please feel free.

Matthew Ramsey