From:
john king <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 1996 15:48:57 -0400

Regarding Donald Kasarda, smoking and celiac disease, my husband smoked
since the age of 16, he quit at the age of 44.  Within 6 months of his
quiting he lost a total of 80 pounds, nothing he ate stayed with him and he
was hungry all the time.

When he was finally convinced that he should go to the doctors, two years had
gone by.  He lucked out regarding his diagnosis, a nurse from teamsters
health care suggested he go to a gastroendro.  and the one chosen found out
he had celiac within two months.  It always seemed to me that when he stopped
smoking that was when his celiac condition came out, that one was connected
to the other, but the doctors and nurses never agreed with me.  What do I
know??

My question to anyone who has DH, has this condition every turned into a
bacterial infection that required hospitalization and antibiotics?

Thanks for all the great info I have received from this list.

Rosalie King, Cambridge, MA>