From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 1996 16:45:47 EDT

A forward from Dr Joe Murray about a prior question by Nadia

From: Murray @ ntmed-po.int-med.uiowa.edu
Date: 07/10/96 08:43:36 AM

This may be due to osteoporosis due to loss of bone mineral.  This can result
in fractures or even sponteneous collapse of vertebra leading to compression
of nerve roots and severe pain.

Osteomalacia , also can occur though I think it is less common in US patients
due to high intake of vitamin D and sunlight.  This can result in
pseudofractures in the hips, pelvis, spine and shouldres with significant
pain and weakness especially climbing stairs or getting out of a low chair.
Vitamin D deficiency can also result in a skin pain syndrome.

It is possible that these changes could progress in  diagnosed celiac due to
poor vit D intake and low calcium intake especially if they are milk in
tolerant.

There are many other reasons one could have bone pain, from injuries,
arthritis, lupus and malignancies.  A careful phyical , biochemical and
radiographic examination may be warranted.

Not medical advice