Date:
Fri, 21 Jun 1996 23:17:26 +0100

Javier posted a suggestion to submit a petition to the FDA regarding
labeling.  I have put in a formal request with the Celiac listowners to see
if we can use this forum to put together a comprehensive petition.  Michael
Jones said an attempt was made in 1993(?)  & failed.  I would think
brainstorming top priorities for labeling & perhaps working with other groups
who have severe allergies to foods can unite to submit one good proposal.  We
could actually come up with multiple proposals.......  one for foods and one
for drugs- both prescription & over the counter.  It's clear this needs to
happen........  just want to coordinate & perhaps get the National
Organizations to be co signers as well.  The better written the proposal, and
the more united effort may yield a positive result.  It would be useful to
gather information on actual case scenarios (life threatening/ and or severe
reactions regarding foods & drugs that people have experienced as a result of
inferior labeling practices to submit to the FDA with the proposal.  To be
continued.......  Fran