From:
Mildred Oberkotter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 1996 18:41:46 EDT

Hi Folks!

I've had my third gluten-related accident since my CD diagnosis in February!
Ach!  What happened is that I've been purchasing  this brand of gf lemon
cookies which I've previously used without problem. This time, I picked up
this package, not realizing it's non-gf variety.  I did read the label quickly
at the store, and it looked ok.  It's after eating a few of those cookies, and
showing the label to my friends when I realized it's not gf--the label was
misleading in that it put wheat flour in bold letters, and the rest of the
ingredients in non-bold letters.  I originally skipped the bold lettering, and
read the non-bold stuff as it was more obvioius as it occupied the larger area
of space on the package.  My friend agreed with my misconception.  So, beware
of such special lettering which obviously had the intention of warning
consumers, but instead got skimmed over.

Anyway, my question is what do you do when you have those gluten
reactions--anything I could take to offset them?  I recall reading a few
months ago in the LIST about taking gold label alka-skelzer (sp?).  Is that
productive with gluten reactions?  Please advise, as I certainly don't like
the symptoms I'm enduring (intense and subtle gas pains, and fatique).
Usually these last for about five days.  This schedule indicates that tomorrow
I should be fine!  I sure hope so!

Mildred Oberkotter, New YOrk City