From:
Jim Barron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jun 1996 23:34:10 -0500

Some people have indicated that they are unsure of what an intestinal
overgrowth is, so here's a (rough) definition.

Ordinarily the human gut contains many bacteria some harmless, some
beneficial.    Under certain conditions,  undesirable bacteria and/or
yeast, etc.  (which may ordinarily be present at low level or may be
"newcomers") can achieve population densities large enough to "crowd" out
the beneficial bacteria.    This crowding out of the beneficial bacteria
and overpopulation of the wrong bacteria can cause numerous problems:  It
can change the pH of the gut,  the bacteria/yeast or whatever can produce
toxins and/or problem causing metabolic byproducts (alcohols from yeast,
siderophores (chemicals used by bacteria to remove iron from our system),
etc. etc.).

 Symptoms can be unusual color and/or consistency and/or frequency of
stool, excessive gas, bloating, abdominal pain, rumbling gut, loss of
weight, malabsorption, etc.   Sound familiar?   It can cause symptoms very
similar to what celiacs get from ingestion of gluten or other things to
which they react.      This is the basis for my concern - I suspect that
some (but almost certainly not all) cases of "refractory"  celiac are
actually cases of intestinal overgrowths which are misinterpreted as being
caused by exposure to grains,  this misinterpretation preventing the proper
and effective treatment (i.e.: antibiotics) from being administered.

Different forms of intestinal overgrowth (overgrowths of different
microorganisms) can cause reactions to foods OTHER than the foods than
usually cause problems to celiacs.   For example,   yeast overgrowths can
be activated/exacerbated by the ingestion of simple sugars (sugar, honey,
jam, etc.), especially if in large amounts.    If one is looking only for
hidden sources of grains, such connections might be missed.

It is easy for a celiac to fall into the trap of assuming that anything
intestinal is a result of celiac disease.   But we, like everyone else,
also occasionally  get food poisoning, intestinal parasites,  and all of
the common ailments.     Because of the necessity of being constantly on
our guard about grains and forever looking out for reactions to hidden
grains, it is all too easy to forget that.     But the very important
distinction is that intestinal overgrowths, unlike celiac, can be treated
with antibiotics.

Perhaps what we really need is some simple way of determining when
something is NOT a celiac reaction, but an overgrowth.     Maybe making it
a practice of getting a blood panel done when we get intestinal symptoms of
certain combinations (to be outlined by the experts) and we have had no
known exposure to grains.

What I am hoping to accomplish with the survey is to get some rough
indication of  whether or not this is a problem.     If it looks like it
might be, a more systematic and accurate survey would be in order.

Jim Barron
Chapel Hill NC