From:
"Ronald Hoggan, Queen Elizabeth High School" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 1996 22:06:31 -0700

Hello All,
I would like your help on two things.
The first is re: a mineral supplement I purchased. An enquiry about the
non-medical ingredients disclosed one called oatstraw that the mfg.
insisted was gluten-free. The mfg. is "Optimins". Can anyone tell me if
their claim is true? Thanks.

The second thing regards smoking and former smokers. This follows on a
discussion I had with my doctor today. I told him that Dr Richard
Mackarness, in "Not All in the Mind" Thorsons, San Francisco, Ca, page
77, says that tobacco smoking masks symptoms of food allergy by altering
the ph in inflamed tissues in the small intestine. My doctor said that
there is a reduced incidence of IBS among smokers. I told him that while
I quit smoking 6 months before my celiac diagnosis, I lost all interest in
smoking almost as soon as I went gluten free. He asked me to let him know
if I found any studies on it. On my way home, I thought that the personal
experience of a thousand celiacs might be more valuable. For that reason,
I am asking that all smokers and former smokers let me know if the g-f diet
had any impact on their quitting.
I would appreciate hearing from all listmembers who smoke or are former
smokers.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Ron HOggan