From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Oct 1996 13:01:55 EDT

In today's CSA report, Mary Courtney, [log in to unmask], wrote:

> Food news: Leon Rottmann announced that 17 of 31 companies have
>admitted to using French fries with a wheat-starch coating. He
>mentioned McDonalds as one with this problem, but CSA had to find out
>by analysis, since Ronald McDonald wouldn't comment.

I have followed the fast food fries situation closely over the past two years,
and was very surprised to read this allegation.  I just spoke with my contact
at McDonald's (Marisa Fernandez) who promised to immediately research this
issue.  She confirmed that the french fries (and their hash browns, also cooked
in the same oil) are listed on their internal "gluten free foods" list.  This
means that their internal product development group has deemed them to be GF.
Of course, there is no assurance that this group's standards are the same as
mine (or yours), so I will be most interested to hear their response to CSA's
claim.  I will report to the list as soon as I have more information.

Bill Elkus
Los Angeles