Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 1996 09:58:14 -0700

I had a wonderful "eating out" experience several days in the past few
weeks.  I wanted to share this with you and then make a point on the
"positive approach."  While attending a computer networking class in
Kansas City, I  decided to try a little restaurant at the end of this
very small mall where I was located.  It had such a pleasant atmosphere
(lower lights, white table cloths, nice personnel, etc.)  I was asking
about the safety of some of the dinners (gluten free) and the owner, who
was busy attending to several things, heard me.  He asked if I was a
Celiac Sprue.  He said he was gluten free also.  He then was able to tell
me what all was safe for me to eat.  That included about every dinner
except pasta-type dinners.  I ate there several days and enjoyed every
meal SO MUCH.  It was obvious that a gluten free meal could be prepared
in many restaurants with excellent results (they were always busy).  The
last day, I decided to inquire about desserts--thinking no way will there
be a GF dessert.  Of course, he had made sure we GF people could enjoy
one.  I had a flourless chocolate cake with raspberry sauce.  I thought I
had died and gone to heaven.  IT WAS EXCELLENT!!  This restaurant is
called ELBOW ROOM CAFE & BAR.  It is at 79th & Quivera, Kansas City.  I
have absolutely no connection.  I am ashamed to say, I didn't even ask
the owner's name.  My "positive approach" point--I am going to drop him a
note at this restaurant and let him know how much I enjoyed the food.
Will that help any?  Maybe not in this case since he is "on top of it."
However, I think we need to spend equal amount of time "thanking"
companies when they do it right and label correctly for us as we spend
time in calling companies, complaining to companies, etc.  A positive
approach can make some ground--even if it is a little step at a time.
For some time now, I have been going to write the company that makes
Albert's Poppy Seed Salad Dressing from Omaha, NB (no connection to me).
 It says right on the jar--vinegar (GLUTEN FREE).  We can promote these
positives--even as an example to companies that are not doing
it--encouraging them to follow the procedures of those who do.  We have
to work harder at promoting our cause--what if everyone on the list wrote
5-10 companies or services, thanking them for making our diet easier.  We
can include the fact that we are able to share it on the internet with so
many others.  Yes, we have to continue to work on legislative changes,
etc.  That will make the biggest impact but we need to get a leader of
our group and be told how to continue that cause.  By the way, if you are
in the KC area, I hope you can enjoy the same experience I did, and I
will drive back that way once in a while to know I can eat out and feel
good. It will be a special treat. - Sharon in Topeka, Kansas