From:
Gay Sipes 749 X3820 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 1996 15:22:41 -0700

   Though it may be laborious, a better approach would be for celiacs to
   write the food manufacturers.  If the incidence of CD really does
   approach 1 in 300 (in some populations, at least) Beatrix and others
   would be well advised to hear that . . .

   "Since my diagnosis with Celiac Disease (an intolerence to the gluten in
   wheat, barley, rye and possibly oats) I can no longer purchase (many of)
   your products because I cannot rely on the ingredients on your labels
   being complete and/or accurate.  I encourage you to determine those of
   your products that are TRULY gluten-free, and label them as such.  If
   you can accomplish this, your market will open up to another 800,000
   people in this country alone, and considerably more people in Europe.
   You'd also be contributing to the quality of life for many."

   By consistently and unceasingly appealing to the PR executives and bean
   counters at the manufacturers, eventually there will be movement on this
   issue.  Until then, I'll continue to strive to eat whole, totally GF
   foods.

   We need less legislation in this country, NOT more.  I choose freedom
   over the "security" of Big Brother taking care of me.