From:
Charles Oldenburg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 23:50:27 EST

Thanks to all who responded to my question.  The answers are mixed - not
surprising, I guess.

Unlike you, I have low blood pressure and have had it for many years. GF
diet does not affect me as far as blood pressure goes. I do recommend
though that you get tested professionally for sprue.

Sorry, but I have no info on the high blood pressure since I am on the other
end of the spectrum.  I have low blood pressure.  Even when 30 lbs
overweight and yes, I even smoke (I know bad habit), the doctors were always
questioning me if my blood pressure was always "this low".  I don't know
what this low is but I have frequent times when I stand up that I have to
just stand still till my "tunnel" clears up and I can move.  It's like
everything goes dark and then goes light again.  Now I wonder if this is
just a people thing or a celiac thing???

I recently read a book entitled: CAN A GLUTEN-FREE DIET HELP? I think the
author's name is Rosenvold. He stated that a study was done in the 1930's
where a group with high blood pressure was put on a g-f diet. The whole
group experienced a reduction in bp. At almost exactly the same time, the
first really effective medication for reducing bp was put on the market.
The study was soon forgotten, and patients were given a magic pill to help
high bp. Taking a pill is a lot easier than following a g-f diet.

Hope that is informative.

I have always had borderline high blood pressure until I started a GF diet.
At first I thought it was the weight loss, but even when I was thin, I still
had a higher than normal blood pressure.  Now it is normal and sometimes even
low.  Now I just have to work on the high cholesterol.  This seems to be a
family trait, my mother and grandmother both have high cholesterol and eat low
fat diets - this may be a tougher one to control|

This Gluten Intolerance stuff really has some strange external effects|||

Take care|

My blood pressure does the opposite.  It's low.  And it has not been affected
by a gf diet.  It was low to begin with and it's still low.  But then I don't
have CD, just lots of food allergies/intolerances.

Unlike you, I have low blood pressure and have had it for many years. GF
diet does not affect me as far as blood pressure goes. I do recommend
though that you get tested professionally for sprue.

Thanks again, Christina Oldenburg