From:
Mary Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Feb 1996 01:56:51 -0800

Dear List friends,

Well I've gotten several good pointers and corrections so far.  Thank you
Don, Kemp, and W.A.

Mark Achler wrote:
I am especially interested in our labeling (or lack
there of) laws.  What are you going to do with this list once it is
compiled?
...and can I help?

The list was composed to show a lobbyist in D.C.  No one knows yet whether
the time is right for celiac lobbying.  There are several other diseases
which have the larger statistics and prior research to get the attention
and dollars they need. (For example, Medicare needs to start covering colon
screenings.) By comparison, CD is only beginning.

You can help by working with your (national or regional) celiac support
group with regard to the new attempt to form a national celiac coalition
(for big issues like funding, research). I imagine that statistics are a
prerequisite to labeling laws.

If labeling is your cause, you might find it gratifying to write to the
smaller manufacturers of food that you have found to be reliably GF, and
thank them. Talk to the health food store managers and owners about
products they could be carrying. (Personally, I find it discouraging to
knock my head against the Krafts and General Mills of this world, and
prefer to make a dent where it counts: with manufacturers and retailers who
are interested in the health value of their products.)

Has anyone else noticed how the slightly upscale supermarkets are carrying
more and more health foods?  California's Mayfair, Virginia's Krogers, and
Dallas' Tom Thumb seemed to have increased the amount of organic produce
and/or processed health food on their shelves.  Thank your local
supermarket managers if they've saved you a trip across town.

end of sermonette,
Mary