From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 1996 13:45:30 -0500

Kemp Randolph <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

K> With the exception of EnerG Foods and smaller places like the
K> Gluten Free Pantry, all apparently GF commercial food in the US
K> is produced in a non-GF plant and, even worse, on a production
K> line through which non GF foods are processed.

In the case of Kellogg's there is a difference between Temptations
and Corn Pops.  Corn Pops is a popular cereal, and I believe Kellogg's
has a line dedicated solely to producing them.  That is why Kellogg's
DOES say they are gluten-free.  (I previously posted about this on
Sunday January 28th.)  On the other hand, Honey Roasted Pecan
Temptations are probably less popular, and wouldn't have a dedicated
line.  Perhaps the other non-GF Temptation cereals are made on the
same line.  That could explain why Kellogg's doesn't consider Honey
Roasted Pecan Temptations to be GF.

So I think that Tanis' suggestion that "...eating Kellogg's Temptations
would be the same as eating Corn Pops..." is not really true.  Corn
Pops are less likely to be cross-contaminated by other products.  And
in this one case at least, Kemp's statement "...all apparently GF
commercial food in the US is produced....on a production line through
which non GF foods are processed..." is not correct.  I'm sure there
are some GF commercial foods that are processed on dedicated
production lines simply because they sell well.  Still, there's no
way of knowing that from the packaging, is there?

Jim Lyles ........ <[log in to unmask]> ........ Holly, Michigan, USA