From:
Linda Blanchard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 1996 20:01:34 -0500

I checked with KRAFT about the ingredients in their marshmallows. I did not
specifically ask if they were gluten free, but asked about what they were
dusted with, and what the modified food starch was made from.

Brandy, at 800-634-1984 said that in Kraft labeling "modified food starch"
was corn starch and if it wasn't corn starch it would say so (e.g.
"modified wheat starch" or "modified food starch [wheat]"). She said that
from the moment they begin to solidify, their marshmallows are dusted with
corn starch.

Based on this, I sampled a few yesterday and had no reaction (I am a
sensitive celiac).

So today, I made those marshmallow rice puff bars but you can't use Rice
Krispies because they have malt flavoring. I used Barbara's Brown Rice
Crisps along with Nutty Rice (for crunch).

The recipe is
  3 Tablespoons margarine
  10 ounce package of Kraft marshmallows
  6 cups rice puffs (I used 4 of Barbara's and 2 of Nutty Rice)
  shortening to grease the pan.

Melt the butter and add the marshmallows, stirring constantly over low heat
until the mixture is creamy. Add the cereal, combine well and put in a
greased pan. Cool, cut and eat.

   This recipe, like all my recipes, is copyright 1996-1997 by
   Linda Blanchard.  I grant anyone anywhere the right to distribute
   this recipe on a one-to-one basis, or in a not-for-profit
   newsletter.  Any other use without my consent is prohibited.

Linda Blanchard
Midland TX