From:
Phil Sheard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 1996 16:00:08 +0000

Shashi Pathak wrote requesting info on the components Livotrit Plus. I
looked up a multi-volume encyclopedia entitled "Indian Medicinal Plants"
published in 1994 by Orient Longman. Unfortunately, our library has only
the first 3 volumes! It seems these agents have been used for many years in
Hindu medicine (hence the term "ayurvedic"). I was able to find the
following:
Andographis paniculata, the green chinetta, used for hyperdipsia, burning
sensation, wounds, ulcers, fever, malaria, inflammation, cough, bronchitis,
skin diseases, leprosy, pruritis, intestinal worms, dyspepsia, flatulence,
colic, diarrhea, dysentery
Boerhaavia diffusa, hogweed or pigweed, used for inflammation lumbago,
myalgia, scabies, cardiac disorders, jaundice, anaemia, dyspepsia,
constipation, cough, bronchitis and general debility
Eclipta alba, trailing eclipta, good for blackening and strengthening the
hair, stopping heamorrhages and strengthening gums. Seeds good for
increasing sexual vigour
Berberis aristata, barberry, used primarily as antidiarrhea, as is
Tinospora cordifolia (they both contain the alkaloid berberine).
These lists are abridged, and their reputed usefulness in many cases is
much more extensive than in the lists I have included here. Note that large
doses of many of these agents cause the symptoms they are supposed to
alleviate, for example, high doses of berberine cause diarrhea
Looks to me as though this has been formulated to alleviate diarrhea and
gastrointestinal malaise, among other things.
I guess you'll never be able to walk past a hogweed again without wondering....
Hope you find this helpful
Phil

Philip Sheard
Developmental Biology Unit,