From:
Kemp Randolph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 1996 09:45:37 -0500

On Feb 14, 1996 23:02:17, 'Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>' wrote:

>...The cheese at Taco Bell is colored orange. The orange color
>usually comes from annatto. Some have said (I believe an ACS
>newsletter) that caramel color can be an ingredient of annatto.
>And caramel color could be from a gluten grain.
>The NOMSG group has had reports from some of their members
>claiming reactions to annatto coloring. That would imply that
>maybe there is HVP in it.

"usually...caramel...can be... could be...
some..claiming...imply...maybe...HVP"

Just some facts about annato coloring courtesy of Sam Wyld at Ener-G-Foods:

Annato is extracted from vegetable material using alcohol. Whether some of
the alcohol is distilled off as when they extract "natural flavors" I don't
know. Unlike the liquor case, what's left behind is used. In any case, the
culprit alcohol for celiacs is ethyl. I don't know how dirty the grade used
is with grain based material, but that's been the celiac party line for
years. (Any food chemists out there?) The  right alcohol to use is
petroleum based.

Sam said that International Baker's Services in South Bend Indiana had
switched some years ago to petroleum based alcohols from ethyl.
800-345-7175.

Frankly, a few more facts in this type of thread would help. It's hard
enough to sort out an allergic response from a gluten response.

                           Kemp Randolph
                           Long Island