From:
Janet Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 May 1996 09:09:00 -0400

Although I agree with Karen concerning the need to trust in our Celiac
organizations (I too rely on the Canadian Celiac Association), I feel
obliged to point out that caramel colour is allowed in Canada provided that
the product has not originated in Europe.  Caramel colour in Great Britain
and other European countries is not gf.  In fact, the Canadian Celiac
Association published this info some time ago, perhaps before Karen was
following the gf diet.  A second exception in Canada is the caramel colour
used by the Quaker company to make their caramel rice cakes.  I have had a
letter from Quaker which states that these rice cakes are not gf.

Janet Thomas
Fredericton, N. B.
Canada