From:
Jane Katharine Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 1996 17:01:54 +0400

I should like to make a rather flippant but nonethless heartfelt plea on
behalf of the word "sprue". We all hear celiac (or coeliac)
everywhere: we all are or have celiac (or coeliac); we all know that it
comes from the Greek "celi-something" (or "coeli-something") and means
something somewhere in our alimentary canal.
But what about sprue? Let us not lose that wonderful word through
lack of use. Doesn't it just sound great? S-p-r-ue; it slides off the
tongue and drips deliciously onto the floor.
But what exactly does it mean?
Perhaps it's related to the effects of ingesting that little bit of
gluten, as in "I've got a touch of the sprues today, I'm afraid."
Maybe it refers more to the causes, as in "I got well and truly sprued
last night. My own fault; I shouldn't have assumed they thickened the
sauce with cornflour."
On the other hand, it could encapsulate all the hassles of gf cookery,
as in "I wish you could just go out and buy a gluten-free pizza instead
of having to sprue the darned things!"

Any thoughts on these and/or other definitions???

Respectfully

Jane in Turkey