From:
"Andrew E. Stevenson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 1996 11:52:38 EST

I was surprised to see the mention of "sweet" breath in Carollee Hayward's
posting (Sun., Jan. 7). My celiac daughter had definitely sweet breath for such
a long time before diagnosis. It became more pronounced as time went on. I
mentioned it to a couple of pediatricians, who made some vague noises about the
vivid imaginations that parents have. It remained a mystery.

Then, about two months before diagnosis, when it was evident that Marina was
quite ill, a doctor in an emergency room casually mentioned that she could smell
ketones on Marina's breath, indicating that she was not getting enough
nutrition. She said we should follow up with our regular doctor. Since going on
the GF diet, her breath has smelled sweet only a couple of times, when she's
been ill.

Now I can smell the exact same sweet, fruity odor on the new baby's breath.
She's seven months old, and has had a cold for about two weeks. Is this normal
when a baby is sick? Is the sweet breath something I should worry about at this
point? I'm so tired of being seen as a paranoid mother that I'm a little
hesitant to approach yet another doctor and say, "Gee, my baby's breath smells
funny," and have them dismiss me. --Trisha (still in Michigan, but back on my
old computer account)